Translate

**If you have previously subscribed to received my posts via email: Please subscribe to my posts via Bloglovin in the right sidebar.**

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Springtime is #Cre8time at HOME with Unruly Paper Arts May Reader's Art Quest



Hello Everyone... welcome to May! It's a new month and I'm happy to share a brand new upcycled mixed media project for the new Reader's Art Quest at Unruly Paper Arts. This month's challenge theme is "HOME" and you know how I love a good challenge!

I really enjoyed created something new - and at the same time giving a proper home for bits of this and that on my craft room table. It's springtime and I've been doing some much needed sorting and purging of my studio - along with finishing countless UFOs {unfinished objects} which are cluttering my desk... and MIND!


Following the Unruly Paper Arts Reader's Art Quest "Home" Inspiration photo and color palette, I set out to collect some items for creating. I have a few Amazing Casting Resin house pieces created from an embroidery kit frame molded using Amazing Mold Putty. I had one of these in a baggy with some scraps of Bo-Bunny papers, embellishments and ribbon - such a good starting point. This month's issue is "Fabric Frenzy" so I also added some muslin to the mix.

 

Then my "ONE TOUCH RULE" started taking effect. In gathering other supplies - I happened upon this mini kraft tote that had the label removed. Hmmm! Perhaps this will make a lovely base for a mixed media piece.



I selected this section of muslin fabric monoprinted using my Amazing No-Gelatin Rubber Plate {my DIY version of a gellie plate}. When I'm playing and monoprinting I use extra papers, fabric swatches and other items to pick-up second/third print pulls. For this pattern, I had been impressing large bubble wrap into the paint to make texture and it will make a nice sky background for my "home" scene.


My selection of vintage lace, ribbon and knotted twine in the color palette. I might cut up this large loopy lace for clouds... we'll see how things progress.



I set off to work preparing my kraft tote to be a base for hanging art. I cut off the paper handles {which will be reused in another crafty project} and glued the sides and flap and a piece of cardstock inside to make a sturdy flat piece.



I try to be conscious in the beginning of how I'm going to display/house a creation. One thing I love using for upcycled projects is soda can pulls! With a decorative brad - they make a quick and easy hanger.


The whole is poked through the base bag and buried into the glued layers of my finished project. This is ready to hang!


View from the back with tab/hanger bent slightly for easy hanging on a pushpin.




I built up the layers on the front with a couple layered pieces of white cardstock with torn edges - slightly larger than my base bag.



Using a pale yellow acrylic paint I brushed some color around the border. I trimmed the monoprinted muslin to size and frayed the edges. I adhered another piece of white cardstock to the back of the fabric using a Miracle Sheet {sheets of double sided adhesive that can be cut to size} for stability and added strength. Before adhering - I added a little painterly details...


Faber-Castell Gelatos are my new obsession that are now a staple in my daily travel tote! I've found storage boxes that are the perfect size and I have two bins so far. I've even added color names to each of them with my P-Touch labeler {yes I have a little creative OCD}!



Using my new Nathalie Kalbach Stampendous stamps, and a variety of Faber Castell Gelatos - I applied color directly to the faux burlap stamp to simulate grass and pops of pink for flowers.



I spritzed the Gelatos with water and then pressed onto the fabric. I didn't use an acrylic block to ensure I pressed into the texture and cracks of the painted fabric. I let this dry completely and then peel the backing off the Miracle Sheet and adhere to my prepared base.



I stamped across the bottom edge of the fabric and I filled in the remaining 1/2" at the bottom using a water brush picking up color from the green gelatos used. I love the subtle watercolor effect and it complements the monoprinted bubble wrap background. I have a dark green pom-pom trim that I will add for additional dimension and as a horizon line for my scene. This will be layered upon a lace ribbon colored with green Gelatos blended with water to match my stamped garden. I placed my assembled house complete with resin domino door and mini bicycle onto the scene and filled in a faux fence with the knotted twine and cut apart section of May Arts wooded trim. I painted vertical stripes in with waterbrush and chocolate gelato to finish the fence... creating a nice contrast of dimension and color.


The base Bo-Bunny Paper that I trimmed to fit behind my Amazing Casting Resin house was a bit bright and blue. So I gently applied a gesso wash over it to mute the colors down, then applied a mix of pinks and yellow gelatos to marry this to the Unruly Paper Arts May Reader's Art Quest "Home" color palette challenge.


I also smudged some yellow and pink gelatos to the doily I was placing behind this house. I had already adhered these together, so mini Post-Its make masking quick and easy. I placed the Bo-Bunny flower as a "sun". As I started assembling the pieces to the fabric background, I decided to remove the flower. I wanted to give the scene balance and place the sun in front of some sparkly rays.


Using Post-its - I quickly masked around my white paper border to prepare for some misting. Then using T!m Holtz "RAYS" Stampers Anonymous layering stencil and Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist, I created some shimmering yellow rays for my floral sun.


This did the trick and gives balance to the house on the opposite side of my piece to complete the sky scene. Now it's time for those little finishing touches... a bronze colored dragonfly covers the gluedot residue I couldn't remove from the doily; and some Sakura of America Gelly Stardust Holgram hand-drawn details.


With addition of some adhesive gems for window on an Amazing Casting Resin domino door; and flower shapes and round gems to fill in this blossoming garden... this scene is complete! This scene just makes me smile.



I hope you enjoyed my project and that you are inspired to join us in this month's Reader's Art Quest. My "thoughtful abstractions" column for the May "Fabric Frenzy" issue of Unruly Paper Arts will be coming up on the 21st... you certainly want to SAVE the DATE. I would love to see what you create. Please leave me a comment with your link.

Happy Creating! :) Sb

1 comment:

  1. I'm having an aha moment Susan as I read through all the wonderful creative steps of your super make.
    Guess what is on my desk right now.....the cool Natalie stamps...yep for my personal stash too!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts and comments...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin