Translate

**If you have previously subscribed to received my posts via email: Please subscribe to my posts via Bloglovin in the right sidebar.**

Monday, May 4, 2015

It's All About the BLING... Designer Crafts Connection May Bloghop



Hello Everyone! It's the first Monday of May which brings another Designer Crafts Connection Bloghop... this month we bring you a BLING-a-palooza! Our creatives are sharing projects that are "All About the BLING" to inspire you with sparkle and shimmery delight.


Bling bling everywhere... in every size, shape and color! In paper, beads, glittery paint and more! Where does one begin to play??! For my project today, I'm doing a little recycling of some empty double sided adhesive spools and transforming them into some fun sparkly bangles. 


First I remove the paper lining from the inside of my cardboard spool {since I wrote all over it to remember what brand/size it was}. Then I give my plastic spools a rub with alcohol to clean off the surface to prepare for coloring.


The one red-line tape spool had a small amount left on it - just enough to cover the surface of both plastic spools with one layer of adhesive. I had one layer of adhesive left on my cardboard tape spool as well. After burnishing down with a bone folder, I'm ready to attach my bling.


I selected a pretty purple color from my Spectrum Noir alcohol markers and colored the edges if both plastic spools - leaving the inside a sheer white as it came.


I also colored the edges and inside of the cardboard spool. 


Now I peel back the adhesive and start to adhere my gems alternating purple and pink. These gems I scored from a visit to the Dollar Tree one day. I can't resist stopping in one on my daily adventures - especially one that's not on my normal route.


On the paper spool I used the larger squares and placed them on point, leaving the adhesive exposed to form a harlequin pattern. After adhering all the gems, I went back with my alcohol ink marker and swiped a layer of color onto the exposed adhesive. 


When dry this area is still slightly tacky, so I dump on some clear embossing powder to seal off the exposed adhesive. I could have dusted with baby powder, but that might have clouded the coloring.


After a quick burst with the heat gun, the adhesive areas have a nice mottled texture and give a nice contrast to the gems. 

These were so fun and easy to make - and in under an hour. This project would be great for the kids {except for the heat embossing step}. The best part - I didn't have to break out any glue and I used up three spools in my tape box. The next time I'm doing resin work I may give them a proper clear coat sealing for extra durability - but they are totally fun, flirty and ready to WEAR!

"Easy Peasy Tape Spool BANGLES"


Thanks so much for visiting! Continue on the Designer Crafts Connection "It's All About the BLING" Bloghop by selecting hop back/forward on the logo below to enjoy all of the wonderful inspiration. Happy Creating! Sb :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts and comments...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin