Translate

**If you have previously subscribed to received my posts via email: Please subscribe to my posts via Bloglovin in the right sidebar.**

Monday, June 2, 2014

#Cre8time Captured By the Sea... June Reader's Art Quest Challenge at Unruly Paper Arts


Hello Everyone... It's June and Summer has arrived! It's a new month which brings a new Reader's Art Quest at Unruly Paper Arts. This month's challenge theme is "By the Sea" and a theme that is near and dear to my heart! I have lived most of my life in Florida and spent much of my childhood at the beach.

I really enjoyed created something new - and at the same time giving a proper home for bits of this and that residing in my craft room. 


The Unruly Paper Arts Reader's Art Quest "By the Sea" Inspiration photo and color palette, were exactly in line with a holiday at the beach. 

 

I have been recently tackling some of those UFO's that are hanging around my studio... you know those "unfinished objects"... the projects started - patiently waiting to be completed. This shell book is something I started several years ago and it's been nagging at my muse ever since... and now this labor of love is finally complete!



Many of my creations have an ARTful purpose - and this shell book has a dual purpose... a place for some of my favorite beach photos and nooks to hold my shells and treasures found while walking on the beach.


I added stamped detail over the photos Nathalie Kalbach n*studio Stampendous stamps to add texture and interest - and completing the weathered beach feel.


I assembled the book together using medium book binder rings. I even included a little charm "made with love" from by bead stash completes this treasure from the beach. I tied some strips of tulle, gold ribbon and sections of frayed May Arts blue cotton ribbon.


A strand of wire-wrapped beads, pearls and baubles added to the edges of the covers completing my Jewel from the Sand. This shell book will commemorate my special times at the beach... a keepsake I will enjoy adding to – and include my trips to beaches in exotic destinations.


I'm love with the end result of this vision I've had in my head for so long. How would you create your own mixed media keepsake using ordinary items?


I hope you enjoyed my project and that you are inspired to join us in this month's Reader's Art Quest. My "thoughtful abstractions" column for the June "STAMP it OUT" issue of Unruly Paper Arts will be coming up on the 23rd... you certainly want to SAVE the DATE. I would love to see what you create. Please leave me a comment with your link.

Happy Creating! :) Sb

2 comments:

  1. This is absolutely amazing, Susan! I have a lot of UFOs in my stash, but I don't think any of them would hold a candle to this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I surely enjoyed your project. What material did you use to make the covers? I'm glad to hear you tackled a UFO of the past; I have lots of these too. I really like how you made the mesh pocket to hold little treasures. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts and comments...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin